CONSTRUCTION TRAFFIC PATTERNS
The Platt Bridge and its approach spans on Penrose Avenue (Route 291) have been reduced from two lanes to one in each direction. The rehabilitation project is currently within the fourth and final stage of construction.
Detour signs direct motorists around the Platt Bridge, which carries Route 291 (Penrose Avenue) over the Schuylkill River, during overnight closures.
- Eastbound Route 291 (Heading Away from Philadelphia International Airport): Island Avenue to Enterprise Avenue to Interstate 95 North to Broad Street to Pattison Avenue to Route 291 (Penrose Avenue).
- Westbound Route 291/Penrose Avenue (Heading Toward Philadelphia International Airport): Pattison Avenue to Broad Street to I-95 South to Enterprise Avenue to Island Avenue to Route 291.
TRUCK AND HAZARDOUS MATERIAL DETOUR ROUTE
Commercial trucks over 14,000 pounds and vehicles with a placarded amount of hazardous materials are prohibited from traveling on the George C. Platt Memorial Bridge (Route 291) over the Schuylkill River in Southwest Philadelphia until 2014.
- From I-95 North: I-95 North to the Broad Street exit (Exit 17), Broad Street north to Pattison Avenue, left on Pattison Avenue to Penrose Avenue (Route 291);
- From 26th Street: Left on Penrose Avenue (Route 291), right on Pattison Avenue, right on Broad Street south to the on-ramp to I-95 South, I-95 South to the Enterprise Avenue exit (Exit 15), Enterprise Avenue to Island
- From Westbound Route 291: Enterprise Avenue to I-95 North to the Broad Street exit (Exit 17), north on Broad Street to Pattison Avenue, left on Pattison Avenue to Penrose Avenue (Route 291).